Many black men experience some discomfort after they shave or trim their beards. They may get ingrown hairs or a rash and this is caused by the texture of their facial hair and the way the hair grows. Many articles explain how to prevent this or how to deal with the discomfort.
However, we recognize that using the wrong equipment could cause skin irritation or encourage the growth of ingrown hairs. That is why we have made a list of our top 5 best trimmers for black facial hair.
Best Trimmers For Black Facial Hair 2023
All the beard trimmer for black men on this list are affordable but are also suitable for use on curly, coarse, and dense hair.
Here are the 5 top trimmers for black facial hair.
#1. Philips Norelco Beard and Hair Trimmer, Series 5100 BT5210/42
Click Here to View Price on Amazon
Philips Beard Trimmer Series 5100 is a great grooming tool for black men. This product has features that reduce the occurrence of ingrown hairs and skin irritation. The features, pros, and cons of this beard trimmer are listed below.
1. Lift and trim technology: The Philips beard trimmer uses a lift and trims technology to achieve an even cut. The flat laying and curly hairs are lifted first and then, the blade cuts the hair. This function is especially useful to black men because of their curly hair. Improperly cut hairs can cause ingrown hairs and consequently, uncomfortable bumps.
2. Self-sharpening blades: The steel blades of this trimmer are very sharp and can cut hair more efficiently than many other trimmers. The effectiveness of the blades means that you will need only one or two passes to trim your beard. Using this trimmer will help to prevent or reduce skin irritation.
3. Adjustable length settings: The Philips Beard Trimmer Series 5100 has a zoom wheel that you can use to choose the length of the trim you will get. There are 17 length settings that you can choose from and this ranges from 0.4mm to 13mm.
4. Clipping combs: The trimmer comes with short and long hair clipping combs. You can use the 0.4mm comb to trim a short beard and 7-13mm combs for longer hair. If your hair has been cut in a certain style and length, you can use the comb attachments to maintain the style and length.
5. Waterproof: This trimmer can be used on wet and dry hair. Furthermore, you can give the trimmer a quick rinse by holding it under running water. You should not submerge the device in the water though, especially if it is charging.
6. Rechargeable battery: The Philips Beard Trimmer Series 5100 has a lithium-ion battery that you can charge. You will need to charge your device for about 70 minutes to get a full battery. The fully charged device can operate for 1 hour before the power is depleted.
7. Corded and cordless use: This trimmer can be charged for later use. However, you can also use the trimmer while it is charging. The corded use feature is convenient if you failed to charge your trimmer.
8. Charging indicator: There is no display screen on this device but it has an indicator light. The indicator comes on when you connect your device to charge and it goes off when the battery is full.
1. This trimmer is affordably priced. It retails for almost $45 and with all the features this trimmer has, it is a good value for the price.
2. The Philips Norelco beard trimmer can be used on your face and hair. Instead of buying multiple grooming tools, you may be able to use a single trimmer instead.
3. This device is easy to use, it does not have any frills.
4. The lift and the trim feature makes cutting curly hair and beards easier.
5. The steel blades in the trimmer are self-sharpening. This means that the blades will stay sharp for a long period.
6. Washing the trimmer is easy because it is waterproof.
7. The rechargeable battery can last for up to 1 hour. 1 hour is enough time to complete a grooming session. Also, you will be able to use the trimmer a few times before you have to charge it. Even if the battery gets low, you will be able to use the trimmer while it charges.
1. The trimmer does not have a display screen.
#2. Wahl Stainless Steel Lithium Ion+ Beard and Nose Trimmer for Men Model 9818
Click Here to View Price on Amazon
The second item on our list is the Wahl Stainless Steel Lithium Ion+ Beard and Nose Trimmer Model 9818. This trimmer makes it to this list because it is sleek, affordable, charges quickly, and can be used for long periods. Here are the features, pros, and cons of this trimmer.
1. Self-sharpening blades: The blades on this trimmer sharpen themselves while it is on. The self-sharpening technology ensures that the blades do not get dull. Furthermore, the sharp blade ensures that the hair is cut easily and this will help reduce skin irritation.
2. Lithium-Ion + Technology: This trimmer uses Lithium-Ion + Technology which increases the torque of the trimmer. The Lithium-Ion + Technology also ensures that the trimmer will be fully charged in a short period.
3. Quick charge: The Wahl Stainless Steel trimmer gets charged quickly. Charging the trimmer for 60 seconds will allow you to use the Wahl trimmer for 3 minutes. However, charging the device for 1 hour will give you a full charge. A fully charged trimmer can be used for up to 4 hours.
4. Dual voltage: The trimmer can be used with 110v -220v. You can use this trimmer in the United States and in other countries as well; this makes the trimmer a perfect grooming tool for people who travel a lot.
4. Charging Indicator: The Wahl trimmer has an indicator light that shows when the trimmer is charging.
5. Travel Lock: The travel lock will prevent your trimmer from coming on while it is in your luggage.
6. 5-year warranty: If you purchase this trimmer from an authorized seller, you will receive a five-year warranty. You may need to activate this warranty for it to be valid. If your trimmer is damaged before the warranty expires, you may be able to get your product repaired or replaced for free.
7. Stainless steel case: This trimmer is encased in stainless steel and this makes the device durable but sleek.
8. Accessories: The Wahl trimmer has attachments that can improve your experience when using it. The attachments include 12 T-blades, ear and nose trimmer head, detail shaver head, comb, storage bag, cleaning brush, and oil.
This trimmer is easy to use.
The head attachments of this trimmer make it a multipurpose use device. You can use this trimmer to trim hairs in difficult to reach places such as your nostrils and ears.
The casing of this trimmer is durable because it is made with stainless steel.
The Wahl stainless steel trimmer is great for travel. The trimmer can be used for different purposes and it also has a travel lock. Furthermore, when you get to your destination, the trimmer will work because it is a dual voltage device.
This device charges quickly and the battery lasts for a long while. The trimmer can be used for up to 6 hours when it is charged fully.
The blades of this trimmer will stay sharp for a long period because it is self-sharpening.
It comes with a 5-year warranty.
The Wahl stainless steel trimmer is not waterproof. It is for dry use only.
#3. Panasonic Cordless Men’s Beard Trimmer ER-GB40-S
Click Here to View Price on Amazon
The Panasonic Cordless Men’s Beard Trimmer ER-GB40-S is one of our favorite trimmers for black men. The Panasonic trimmer is affordable, easy to use, and has many features that make this product a great grooming tool. If you are trying to decide if you should purchase this trimmer, we can help you. Below are the features, pros, and cons of the Panasonic Cordless Men’s Beard Trimmer ER-GB40-S.
1. Precision 45 degree blades: The blades on this trimmer are very sharp and are positioned at a 45-degree angle. The position of the blades will ensure that the blades cut through the hair of any thickness quickly without causing injury to the skin. The angle of the blade is ideal for black men because of their curly and thick hair.
The hypoallergenic blades on this trimmer will not cause sensitive skin to breakout.
2. Beard trimmer dial: There are 39 precision settings on the trimmer. The settings that you use will be determined by the hair you are cutting and the length you want to hair to be.
3. Wet/Dry use: The Panasonic Cordless trimmer is waterproof and can be used with shaving cream or a gel. While you are using the trimmer, you can also place it under a stream of running water to rinse the blades. When it is not plugged in, you can also use the trimmer in the shower. If you prefer to dry shave, this device still works. Afterward, you can clean the trimmer using a brush or using running water.
4. Water drain: This trimmer has a drain that you can open to rinse the trimmer properly. When the drain is open, water will run through the trimmer and rinse it.
5. Rechargeable battery: The ER-GB40-S uses a rechargeable Ni-MH battery. The trimmer needs to charge overnight or for 15 hours to have a full battery. A full battery can be used for 50 minutes.
6. Charging stand: The Panasonic ER-GB40-S has a charging stand that is easy to use. You can place the trimmer on the charging stand when you are done with it for the day. When the device is charging, an indicator light will switch on.
7. Ergonomic design: This trimmer is comfortable to hold and use for long periods. This is because the handle is slim and has a rubber grip on it.
1. The 45 degree angled blades will ensure that curly or dense hair is cut easily.
2. You will be able to adjust how low you cut your hair using the dial on the trimmer.
3. The ER-GB40-S is waterproof and can be used with liquid shaving products. The waterproof feature also makes it easy to rise the trimmer. You can also clean the trimmer using the drain feature.
4. The ER-GB40-S is neither too big nor heavy. The rubberized grip on the trimmer will allow you to hold it comfortably for the period while you are cutting your hair.
5. This Panasonic Cordless Men’s Beard Trimmer ER-GB40-S is affordable.
1. It takes up to 15 hours for the battery to be fully charged. However, it takes less than 1 hour for the battery to be drained.
See Also: Best Fading Clippers for Black Hair
#4. Andis Professional T-Outliner Beard/Hair Trimmer with T-Blade GTO (04710)
Click Here to View Price on Amazon
Cordless trimmers are quite popular but we could not resist adding the Andis Professional T-Outliner Beard/Hair Trimmer with T-Blade GTO (04710) to our list. The T-Outliner is a corded trimmer that is popular among professionals because of its close-cutting T-Blade, quiet motor, and reliability. Using this device may require a learning curve, especially for individuals who only use cordless trimmers. However, we recommend that you assess the features of this trimmer and decide if will satisfy your grooming needs.
1. Close-cutting T-Blade: The blade of the T-Outliner has fine sharp teeth that will allow you to trim your hair easily. Furthermore, the blade is fine enough to be used for edging, outlines, cutting fades, and designs that require precision. The sharpness of the blade will allow you to cut thick and curly hair in one pass.
2.Powerful motor: The motor in this trimmer is powerful but it is quiet when in use. The motor also stays cool and this will allow you to hold the trimmer comfortably for the period it is in use.
3. 8-foot long cord: One inconvenience of a corded trimmer is when it has a short or flimsy wire. This is not the case with the T-Outliner. The trimmer has a heavy-duty cord that is 8 feet long. The length is ideal if you use this trimmer while standing. It is also a great length if you want to use the trimmer professionally.
4. Contoured casing: The casing of the T-Outliner tapers towards the bottom. The tapered bottom will allow you to hold the trimmer comfortably while using it. It is an ideal device if you will be using the T-outliner on yourself or someone else.
5. Carbon steel blades: The blade of this trimmer is made with hardened carbon steel. With proper use and care, the blade should last a long time before you need to replace it.
6. Attachment combs: Some combs can be attached to the T-Outliner before you use it. These combs can adjust the length of the hair that will be trimmed off. Using the comb attachment, you will be able to maintain the same beard length every time you get a trim.
1. This is a multipurpose trimmer. You can use this to trim your facial hair, cut a fade, outline, or just maintain a certain beard length.
2. The blade of the T-Outliner is sharp; it will cut dense and curly hair easily. The shape and weight of the trimmer ensure that you can use it for an extended period without feeling discomfort.
3. This trimmer has an 8-foot long cord that will make it easier to use the trimmer. The heavy-duty cord is durable and will not burn out easily.
4. The T-Outliner has a durable blade that lasts a long time. When you feel the need, you can purchase a replacement blade from any store that sells the Andis professional T-Outliner.
5. The motor of the Andis Professional T-Outliner is powerful but stays cool and it is quiet.
1. The 8-foot cord may be too long for some people. The cord could be distracting if you have never used a corded trimmer before.
2. This trimmer is not waterproof. It can not be rinsed or used in the shower.
3. The T-Outliner is not rechargeable.
#5. Philips Norelco Vacuum Beard Trimmer Series 7200, BT7215/49
Click Here to View Price on Amazon
The Philips Norelco Beard trimmer Series 7200 BT7215/49 is a trimmer that has a vacuum system. The vacuum uses powerful suction to catch the hair that is cut. Hence, the mess that you get when cutting your hair is reduced. If you would like to eliminate the cleaning time after cutting your beard, this is the trimmer for you. Here are the features, pros, and cons of this beard trimmer.
1. Vacuum system: The Philips Norelco Vacuum Beard Trimmer has an integrated vacuum that catches hair when it is cut by the blade. The vacuum system uses a fan to lift the hair and the suction sucks the hair into a removable chamber.
2. Lift and trim technology: This trimmer uses a lift and trims technology. Here, the curly and flat hairs are lifted then cut. Lifting all hairs before cutting it ensures that all cut hairs are the same length. This technology is beneficial to black men because of their curly hair. The lift and trim technology can prevent the growth of ingrown hairs and skin irritation.
3. Self-sharpening steel blades: The Philips Norelco Vacuum Beard Trimmer has blades that are sharpened while they are in motion. This feature guarantees that the blades are always sharp and can cut hair (dense and curly) easily.
4. Adjustable zoom wheel: This beard trimmer has a zoom wheel that you can use to select the length of the trim you wish to get. 20 length options are available and it ranges from 0.5mm to 10mm.
5. Rechargeable device: The Philips Norelco Vacuum Beard Trimmer uses a Li-ion battery that can power the beard trimmer for 80 minutes when fully charged.
6. Corded use: This beard trimmer can be charged for later use. However, you can also use this device while it is charging. This is a useful feature if the battery of your trimmer dies while you are still using it.
7. Washable parts: The blade of the trimmer can be placed under running water to rinse it. The chamber where the captured hair is kept can also be removed, emptied, and washed. Importantly, you should not submerge the entire trimmer in water.
- The lift and trim technology used to make this beard trimmer reduce the occurrence of ingrown hairs and skin irritation.
The blades of this trimmer are self-sharpening, this will ensure you always get a clean and even cut.
- The vacuum system reduces the mess you would usually make while cutting your beard or facial hair.
- The Trimmer can be used for up to 80 minutes when it is charged fully.
- Cleaning the parts of this beard trimmer is easy.
The vacuum function does not work on wet hair. For this reason, if you plan on using shaving cream or gels, this may not be the trimmer for you.
All the best beard trimmers for black men listed above were selected because they are affordable, have great features, and work well on coarse, thick, and curly hair. We hope that we have given you an insight into which trimmer you should purchase.
Recommended: Best Electric Shaver for Black Men