The Best Electric Shaver for Black Men’s head and face? As an African American man, you will agree that shaving your hair is a little bit more difficult. For starters, you always have to worry about your sensitive skin and your denser beard is definitely tougher to deal with. In all likelihood, you’ve dealt with dreaded razor bumps, irritation, and burning very frequently.
Wouldn’t you love to be able to avoid these problems for once and all? If the answer is yes, you just need to find yourself a good electric shaver.
There are plenty of them out there, but the advanced foil shavers tend to be the very best for black men. So, which models are the very best for people just like you? You’ll find out in the guide below!
What Makes Shaving Worse For Black Men?
First and foremost, you should learn about some of the complications that you’ll face while shaving. There is no doubt that the problem is serious and it has to do with several factors. Some of these will be explored in greater depth below.
A breakthrough in shaving for black men
- Ingrown And Curly Hair – First and foremost, it is true that African American hair is more prone to ingrown hairs. The curly, ingrown hair will actually grow into the skin and that can make it much more difficult to shave. Many African American men will use extra force in an attempt to shave the hair and that is going to increase the likelihood of skin irritation and razor burns.
- Shaving Bumps – When your skin is free of sensitivities, you’ll never have to worry about razor bumps. For many black men, shaving bumps are a nightmare that they deal with continually. The sad fact is that black skin is more prone to shaving bumps. If you have black skin and you’re using the wrong electric shaver, you can guarantee that you’re going to develop shaving bumps more often than not.
- Cuts And Nicks – When shaving black skin, the risks for nicks and cuts are far higher. The uniqueness of your skin makes you more prone to these problems and they’re going to happen almost every single time you shave. Avoid this from happening by investing in a good razor!
- Skin Sensitivity – Finally, you should know that black skin is actually more sensitive than others. This is why black men have such a difficult time shaving their facial hair. It is too painful and causes too many problems along the way.
Shaving is a necessity, but you do not want to deal with the pain. Thankfully, you might be able to offset these problems by taking the right actions and using the right shaver. More about both will be provided below for your consideration.
Best Electric Shaver For Black Men (2021) Reviewed
#1. Braun Series 7 790cc Review
There are plenty of great foil shavers out there, but it seems that Braun knows how to do it best. The company absolutely knocks it out of the park with its Series 7 790cc shaver. This razor offers everything you need to decrease the risks involved with shaving black facial hair. It offers a comfortable, close shave that will be sure to keep you happy and safe from start to finish. Thanks to Intelligent Sonic Technology, this shaver is going to be more powerful than many of the alternatives. More about that will be provided below.
Intelligent Sonic Technology
This shaver is equipped with an intelligent auto-sensing motor and that is going to make a world of difference. When the razor begins cutting dense beards, it is going to recognize it right away. After it has done that, the power is going to ramp up so it can cut those hairs without pulling or tugging. Suffice to say, this razor is perfectly built for black men and black facial hair.
As you should know, shaving in the shower can definitely reduce the pain and suffering that you experience. Unfortunately, not all shavers are waterproof. The Braun Series 7 790cc is waterproof up to 5 meters. Therefore, it can be used for wet and dry shaves. If you want to use it in the shower, you can and that will decrease the risk of skin irritation.
8-D Flexible Head
Finally, you should know that this razor features an 8 direction flexible head, as well as floating shaving elements. This combination ensures that the razor is going to glide over your face comfortably and smoothly each and every single time.
- Can be used in the shower
- Intelligent motor powers up when needed
- Flexible head and floating shaving elements make things more comfortable
- Turbo and sensitive modes to enjoy
- 4 shaving elements to ensure everything is cut in one stroke
- Easy to clean since it is waterproof up to 5 meters
- A little louder than the alternatives
At the end of the day, the Braun Series 7 790cc is great for those with sensitive skin. It is also a good option for black men. This shaver is definitely going to provide you with a more comfortable shave.
#2. Panasonic Arc5 Review
Panasonic has some great shavers for people with sensitive skin. If you’re a black man and you’re sick of that pain, you will definitely want to check out the Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor. It could very well be the solution that you’ve been looking for this entire time. The is another smart razor that is capable of detecting beard density and adjusting as necessary. Below, you’re going to learn all about this razor and why it could be one of the best for black men.
First and foremost, you’ll be happy to know that this razor is equipped with multi-flex pivoting heads. Razors that do not have pivoting heads are not going to be suitable for black men. This one does and it ensures that the razor is going to glide across the user’s face comfortably at all times. Even when it hits though rounded contours, you can guarantee that it will glide across without any issues whatsoever.
It is also great that this shaver is equipped with a shaving sensor. This allows the razor to monitor differences in hair density. Once it has detected denser hair, it is going to increase the cutting power. In return, you’re going to get a more comfortable shave. And, you won’t have to worry about tugs and pulls. This is exactly what African American men need!
Another great thing about the Panasonic Arc5 is the blades. This razor is equipped with 5 blades. They’re all ultra-sharp and precise. The blades feature a 30-degree edge to ensure that the hair is going to be cut cleanly at the base. They’re capable of cutting various hair types without any issues whatsoever. Plus, this razor features a precision pop-up trimmer. This feature makes it possible for you to perfectly detail your sideburns and mustache.
- Features a convenient pop-up trimmer
- Shave Sensor Technology ensures the appropriate power is used
- Blades are precise
- Heads can easily glide along the contours
- Lightweight and comfortable to use
- Great for many types of hair
- May not outperform rotary shavers
The Panasonic Arc5 Electric Shaver is great. It works exceptionally well and it is definitely equipped to protect black men. If you’re sick and tired of dealing with nicks, cuts, or skin irritation, you’ll definitely want to check out this razor. It will not disappoint.
#3. Panasonic ES-LA93-K Arc4 Review
Panasonic manages to make the list once again with its ES-LA93-K Arc4 Electric Shaver. This shaver offers a wealth of features and they ensure that it is going to be a good investment for black men. For instance, this razor is equipped with a high-performance dual motor. This means that the shaver is capable of churning out 14,000 cuts each minute. If your old razors had a tough time cutting through your facial hair, you’ll absolutely love this one. It will not have any issues whatsoever.
The Arc4 is equipped with nanotech blades. They’re precisely honed to feature a 30-degree angle. This ensures that the blades are going to last as long as possible. It also greatly enhances the overall sharpness of the blades to ensure that you’re going to get a quick, comfortable cut every single time.
Having a razor with a pivoting head is an absolute must for any black man. This is where the Arc4 knocks it out of the park. This razor features a multi-flex pivoting head. When you use this razor to shave your face, you’re going to get a close shave. The heads are capable of gliding on the jawline, neck, and chin without any bumps along the way. This also decreases the likelihood that you’re going to end up suffering from skin irritation or razor bumps.
Wet And Dry
Finally, you should know that this razor is compatible with wet and dry applications. When you’re in a hurry, you’ll be able to use this razor to shave in front of the mirror. When you want to make sure that your skin is protected, you can always jump into the shower and shave. You can use your best shaving gel to ensure that the risks are minimized to the fullest!
- Great for wet and dry applications
- Pivoting heads help reduce the risks
- Very powerful motor
- Blades deliver a close, precise cut
- Clean and charge station is great
- Battery always delivers peak performance
- Not everyone will be happy with the end results
The Panasonic Arc4 is definitely a good investment for black men. Just remember that this one might not deliver completely satisfactory results. Some people claim that the shave delivered is patchy and uneven. Other than that, it works exceptionally well for everyone else. Be sure to check it out for yourself.
#4. Braun Series 9-9095cc Review
Braun is definitely a great company and it does a lot to ensure that its shavers are going to be suitable for pretty much anyone and everyone. With that being said, some of their shavers are better for African American men than others. If you’re black and you’re looking for a good shaver, you will definitely want to spend some time learning about the Braun Series 9-9095cc Foil Shaver.
This shaver offers many perks and it can provide everyone with a pretty comfortable shave. More about that will be provided below.
Intelligent SyncroSonic Technology
There is definitely a lot to like about this shaver. However, it is the Intelligent SyncroSonic Technology that sets the Braun Series 9-9095cc apart from the competition. This feature is the one that ensures that this razor is great for many different types of hair. The 4 cutting elements work together to deliver 40,000 cross-cuts per minute. No matter what hair type you have, you can guarantee that this razor is going to impress.
Cutting System And OptiFoil
Another thing to note is that this razor features a quadruple action cutting system. This ensures that it is going to be able to adapt to pretty much any face out there. It is great for Caucasians, African Americans, and even Asians. It also features innovative OptiFoil. This allows the razor to deliver a closer shaver that is going to actually last longer. If you want to shave less often, you’ll definitely want to consider buying this razor.
Pivoting heads are great. However, a fully flexible shaving system is even better. This is one of the reasons that the Braun Series 9-9095cc is so amazing. The cutting elements are flexible and they’re mounted on the fully pivoting head. This combination ensures that you’re going to get a great shave. You’ll never have to worry about the razor nicking your skin when it glides along your skin or jawline.
Finally, you should know that the Braun Series 9-9095cc is 100% waterproof. It can be submerged up to 5 meters deep in water. This means that it is going to be much easier to clean than the alternatives. At the same time, you can guarantee that this razor can be used for wet and dry shaves.
That allows you to have more options. When you’re in a hurry, you’ll be able to enjoy a quick, dry shave. When you want to take extra steps to protect your skin from irritation, you can shave in the shower using your favorite shaving gel or cream.
- Waterproof up to 5 meters
- Great for wet and dry shaves
- Head and elements are fully flexible
- Delivers plenty of power
- Great for many different types of hair
- Delivers 40,000 cross-cuts per minute
- The cleaning station isn’t perfect
The Braun Series 9-9095cc is definitely a good investment. If you’re an African American man, you can guarantee that it is going to provide you with a close and comfortable shave. On top of that, it can be used in and out of the shower. That provides you with more flexibility than many of the alternatives are willing to offer. Be sure to check this one out personally.
#5. Panasonic ES8243A Arc4 Review
The Panasonic ES8243A Arc4 Electric Razor is a good investment that will be sure to satisfy black men. It might be a budget razor, but it is still going to offer a good shave and there are plenty of reasons why. For starters, this one is equipped with 4 ultra-sharp nanotech blades.
They’re going to provide the user with comfort and convenience whether they’re shaving wet or dry. On top of that, the foil will gently conform to the user’s face to ensure no irritation. More details about this razor can be found below for your convenience.
There are plenty of razors out there that claim to have pivoting heads. Some works and some don’t. The Panasonic ES8243A actually does. The pivoting head is great. It is going to move up and down, as well as side to side. It can deliver a smooth, uniform cut no matter what.
Even when it is gliding over the biggest contours on your face, you can guarantee that the cut is going to be close and precise!
Multi-Fit Arc Foil
You’ll love the multi-fit arc foil. The shaver head features a gentle curve to ensure that the razor is able to glide along with the save evenly. In return, it is going to provide the best grooming comfort. The razor can be used in numerous ways. It can even be moved in a circular motion. This is great for men who are making the switch from a rotary shaver.
Shave In The Shower
This shaver can easily be used in the shower and that can make a big difference. Showering while you shave is often the best way to reduce the chance that you’re going to be dealing with skin irritation in the future. When you shave in the shower, you’re able to warm up the skin and get a more comfortable save. You can also shave outside or in front of the mirror.
- Great for shaving in the shower
- Pop up trimmer is very cool
- The display keeps the user aware at all times
- Battery life is great
- Nanotech razor blades are built to last
- Affordable solution to your problem
- Cannot shave under the nose very well
The Panasonic ES82343A Arc4 is great, but not perfect. Still, it is hard to complain. After all, the razor is very inexpensive. Plus, it is definitely going to provide most black men with a comfortable shave. That makes it worth the investment for sure.
Why You Must Use An Advance Foil Shaver
The truth of the matter is that advanced foil shavers are best for African American men. You’ll find out why below.
- Better Motor Speeds – First and foremost, you should know that these types of shavers deliver far better motor speeds. They’re capable of cutting at speeds of 14,000 cuts a minute. This amount of speed and power is going to reduce the pain that you experience.
- Blades Are Sharp – You’ll also want to know that foil shaver is often equipped with many sharp blades. They’re much sharper than anything else out there and this ensures that you’re going to get a comfortable cut.
- Many Offer A Pop-Up Trimmer – It is also great that many advanced foil shavers are going to provide you with a pop-up trimmer too. That is going to make a big difference and it’ll make your life more convenient. The pop-up trimmer will ensure that you’re able to clean up your beard and mustache without needing to switch to another tool.
- Better Battery Life – When buying a cordless shaver, you really have to make sure that the battery life is great. Otherwise, you’re going to be slamming the thing against the wall in frustration. Thankfully, most foil shavers offer a great battery life. In fact, the battery life will be far superior to what you’re going to find anywhere else.
- Wet And Dry Shaves – Most men like to mix their grooming techniques up a bit from time to time. Some days they may utilize shaving creams to soften their skin prior to shaving and other days they just shave dry. Well, thanks to modern technology, foil shavers are more diverse, as they allow for both wet and dry shaves.
- All Skin Types – Many foil shavers are designed to work with all skin types, which is great for black men with a mixture of oily and dry skin. These models are guaranteed to not cause skin irritation, regardless of skin type.
- Quick And Easy Cleaning – Cleaning and sterilizing a shaver is not an enjoyable task, especially when you consider the fact that the shaver must be broken down, cleaned, oiled, and reassembled. Well, this is no longer the case, thanks to modern design and technology. Some brands come with their very own cleaning stations, which utilize a cleaning solution that cleans, sterilizes, and oils the blades. The cleaning station is designed to allow the battery to charge during these processes.
Preventing Ingrown Hairs
Black men tend to develop ingrown hair more than white men. Normally hair grows out of the skin, but sometimes it will grow inside the skin. Ingrown hairs are harmless, but they can cause skin imperfections, such as pimples. They also cause problems when shaving, since the blade cannot reach them because they are buried inside the skin. Since the skin is raised, it will oftentimes feel more pressure from the blade, resulting in skin irritation and bumps.
- Best Bump Free Electric Shaver for Sensitive Skin
- Best Professional Hair Clippers for Fades
- Best Shaver For Black Bald Head
Clean Before Shaving
One of the best ways to prevent ingrown hairs is to remove dirt and oil buildup prior to shaving. Utilize a gentle facial cleanser prior to shaving. Even on days when you choose not to shave, it is crucial to clean your face with a cleanser designed for black men with sensitive skin. It also never hurts to exfoliate your skin at least once or twice a week. This will help remove dead skin that has a tendency to clog pores.
Apply Non-Comedogenic Lotion
Lotion can help soften the skin and prepare it for shaving. However, to prevent further skin irritation it is crucial to only utilize non-comedogenic lotions. These lotions are designed to minimize clogged skin pores. Apply the lotion and wait about four minutes before you start shaving. This will give the lotion enough time to soften the skin and hairs, so they will cut easier.
When the facial hair is dry, it will sometimes retract back into the skin, when the blade pulls it upward away from its follicle, resulting in ingrown hair.
Utilize A Shaver Designed For Your Skin
A common mistake that some black men make is utilizing a shaver that is not designed for their skin type. Not only must you invest in a shaver that is specifically designed for black men, but also it must be designed for your specific skin type. Fortunately, shavers entering the market are designed to handle all skin types.
The best shavers for black men are the ones that have a double blade. Each blade plays a role in the shaving process, the first blade lifts the hair up, and the second snip it away. This design will not only ensure a close shave but also help prevent ingrown hairs.
Black Skin Shaving Tips
There is no doubt that black men’s skin is unique, making it extremely challenging to find reliable grooming tools that will not cause breakouts. Whether you utilize an electric shaver or conventional razor, you can still get the most from it, by incorporating the tips below into your grooming routine.
Avoid Harsh Soaps
Just about every brand of soap contains harsh ingredients that cause rashes and dry skin. This is why black men should avoid utilizing soap as a lathering agent prior to shaving. Instead, utilize a lotion that is hypoallergenic. Just apply a thin layer of the lotion to your skin, allow it to penetrate for several minutes and then gently shave.
Start With A Clean Shaver
No black man desires the grueling task of cleaning an electric shaver. Fortunately, this process is no longer as grueling as it once was, thanks to state-of-the-art technology. Some brands now include a cleaning station and solution, which allows the shaver to be cleaned while being charged.
So, if you do not like cleaning your shaver, you may want to consider investing in one of these brands. If not, you should still take the time to clean your shaver after each use. Doing so will prevent bacteria growth, which as you know causes skin irritation and infection.
Replace Blades Frequently
Blade replacements for shavers are quite expensive, which is why many black men tend to utilize the blade longer than they should. Whatever the case may be, a dull blade will cause skin irritation. To avoid this issue, you will need to replace your shaver blades at least every 30 days. Depending on how often you shave, it may be possible to get 45 or 60 days out of your blades.
Always Follow Up With Aftershave Lotion
Just shaving is not always enough to keep the skin healthy and glowing. Sometimes a high-quality aftershave lotion is needed to soothe the skin. Regardless, if your shaver causes irritation or not, aftershave lotion is a necessity. With that said, it is important to avoid brands that utilize hard ingredients that have the potential to cause skin irritation and pimples. A high-quality aftershave lotion will gently soothe the skin and close the pores to fight against dirt and oil buildup.
Never Rush Shaving
Shaving is a timely process, regardless of what type of grooming tools you are utilizing. However, you should never rush the process just to get it out of the way. All shavers are designed to operate at a certain speed in order to do their job correctly. Every component embedded in a shaver plays an important role. For example, the screen picks up the hair and the blades snip it away.
Rushing the shaver to do its job will result in poor performance and potential skin irritation. Make sure to lather up well before shaving and always utilize slow, gentle strokes until you achieve baby smooth, hairless skin.
Make Shaving Fun
A big mistake that some black men make is thinking of shaving as an undesirable chore. Of course, no one wants to spend hours perfecting their beard, mustache, and sideburns. Fortunately, this is no longer the case, thanks to the state-of-the-art technology now being integrated into electric shavers.
Now, black men can shave in less time. Since you no longer need to spend more than five minutes prepping the skin prior to shaving and there is no need to continuously clean your shaver during the process.
Some electric shavers do not even require skin prepping. In fact, you can start shaving without applying water or shaving lotions. And, the best part is you will not develop a skin rash after the process is complete.
To make things even easier for black men, some manufacturers went so far as to design their shavers so they can be utilized in the shower, allowing for multitasking. What else could you possibly ask for?
With new technology, black men can now groom without fear of skin rashes, nicks, and blemishes. And, this is not to mention that many manufacturers have taken the perplexity of black men’s skin into consideration when designing their most recent shavers.